Saturday, October 11, 2014

Reading Between the Lines: A Personal Note

Before truly embarking on my new adventure into the blogisphere, I wanted to first give just a little background to help you understand where I'm coming from and what motivates me. These next few posts will give you a little insight into what inspired my journey as well as what my ultimate ambition is on these pages and in the salon. Afterwards, my posts will be in pursuit of that ambition by presenting articles regarding issues most commonly found in the salon, discussing popular trends and how to adapt them to your style, product reviews, offer style inspiration, as well as personal motivation. 

I'd like to first preface this article by saying hair and makeup are truly my passion. My husband can vouch for that. Unfortunately for him (being so readily available) he has to listen when I rant and rave about my likes and dislikes on the latest trends, my reviews of new products and techniques, ideas I have for the salon, and so forth. He humors me and I appreciate his unconditional support and feedback.

My husband & I in Denver 2010
This has not always been the case. I was not the girl who grew up dreaming about doing hair and makeup professionally. I never played with my friends' hair, nor did I let them play with mine. I've never had an updo  or makeup done for a special occasion and I was 21 before I actually started going to a professional to get my hair cut.

Many people I knew years ago are shocked to hear I am a cosmetologist. I was extremely involved with my athletics growing up and many think I'd be better suited in the fitness world by coaching or instructing some activity. Most agree however, definitely not a hairstylist. Don't get me wrong. I, like most, have always been aware of my appearance. I however did not follow current trends but rather dressed for myself; if I liked it, I wore it. Of course I was teased, but honestly, who wasn't in high school?

It wasn't until my Junior year that I became aware of what my appearance said about myself to others. For fear of boring you, I'll simply say my Junior year was hard. It was by far the worst year I had encountered in my life up to that point and frankly, I just didn't care. I guess my daily sweatpants and ponytail were a billboard letting the world know "Yes, indeed, Tyree has surrendered!" I was unaware of what my appearance said to others until one day, in the middle of class, an upperclassman pointed out how grungy I looked. He asked me (in a condescending tone) if I have ever heard the term "Dress for Success". Being absolutely humiliated and frustrated by this encounter, I blew him off and discounted the entire experience as a bully just being a bully.

For the rest of the year, I continued to wear my ever-faithful sweats and a ponytail but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about our dress-for-success-encounter everyday while leaving the house. Summer came and went and by the time school was beginning again, I decided to use the phrase as a mantra instead of letting it eat at me. I vowed that I would "Dress for Success" every day of my Senior year. What did that mean to me? I wore a dress or skirt EVERY DAY and I made sure my hair and makeup were done before leaving the house. Over that school year, the strangest thing happened; I actually felt good about myself! By the end of the year I had earned the best grades of my entire high school career, received a full athletic scholarship to continue playing a sport I absolutely loved, and was voted Best Hair and Best Personality of the Senior class.

Senior Picture 2004 (Yes, unfortunately that is a perm) 
When people discuss appearance (or that pertaining to) it seems so superficial. We've all heard the saying "it's what's in the inside that counts" and I couldn't agree more. However, I now firmly believe that when you look good, you feel good. There's something so empowering about feeling good about yourself. You feel unstoppable, more motivated, more energized. Think for a second about the last time you were excited about a new hairstyle, or the way your makeup turned out so perfectly. How did you feel? Was it different from the times your makeup just didn't look right? or your hair just wouldn't do what you wanted it to?

The truth is, your appearance says a lot about you. Your hair is your best accessory but is often the most overlooked. For me, it's not about fitting in and following the trends. It's about feeling good about myself. Feeling comfortable and confident in my appearance.

In cosmetology school the instructors used to tell us that we had to look the part to be successful in this industry. Again, I struggled to fit in with the current styles and trends and honestly, I let the opinions of others overwhelm me. I was teased about the clothes I wore and the way I did my makeup. Most of the ladies grew up playing with makeup and reading fashion magazines, whereas I grew up playing in the dirt, and running around outside. They were more experienced yes, but I was motivated. I knew that I could not be the only woman who felt overwhelmed by the expectation to look perfect according to a certain standard and who just wanted to feel good about myself; just the way I am!

Even after finishing cosmetology school, I felt like an outsider looking in. It wasn't until a few years ago that I decided to re-embrace the "Dress for Success" mantra that brought me out of my funk years before. I can appreciate the latest trends but frankly, I'm usually not comfortable in them. When I try to fit in, I feel like a little girl playing dress up. I'm an impostor. I've decided to embrace my own unique beauty and appreciate my natural appearance that is unique to only me.

Officially a licensed cosmetologist 2010
That's my ultimate goal! To help others realize their own unique beauty and find a style that helps them feel comfortable, confident, and unstoppable. For some, that may be the latest trends and I say kudos to you. If you can pull it off and it makes you feel good about yourself, embrace that! But if you're like me, don't let it frustrate or get you down. Instead customized the look. Make it your own but above all else don't ever give up!  

My little family 2014
Photo by CJ Ward Photography

Who would have thought a mindless encounter almost twelve years ago would have helped lay the groundwork for my journey. I truly believe every experience (good, bad, or otherwise) helps mold who we are today. I must say the upperclassman I spoke of early has since become a very good friend of mine through my husband and I cherish our relationship today. These experiences helped me realize we have a choice in life; to be a victim of our circumstance or a warrior. While watching football last Sunday, the anchors referenced a Tweet from Steve Smith SR. The photo he shared was a picture of a lion and the quote attached read:

 The greatest fear in the world is of the opinion of others, 
and the moment you are unafraid of the crowd, you become a Lion. 
A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom.  

I wish you much joy and freedom in your days, months, and years ahead!

be YOU. be BEAUTIFUL.

http://instagram.com/irisdior_hairandmakeup 

Have questions? Don't hesitate to ask! Never be afraid to educate yourself. After all, knowledge is  (potential) power and that my friends is a beautiful truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment