Thursday, October 23, 2014

Reading Between the Lines: Ambition is the New Black

Trying to figure out how to go about this post has come to a comical realization; you can't keep a blog and leave the personal out of it. It's not funny-ha-ha I admit but rather ironic. My last post, "Reading Between the Lines: A Personal Note" was rather difficult for me to write and ultimately share. I'm not usually very comfortable talking about myself. I like to keep my personal separate from my professional and always keep my personal life private. However, I am quite fascinated with others' stories and life adventures. I'm always prompting others to share more about themselves but only if they are comfortable doing so--hypocrisy thy name is you…or rather, Tyree.

My realization was founded on this one thought: A blog is simply a collection of one's thoughts, opinions, and perspectives. There is no possible way to keep a blog without being prompted to add your personal thoughts, opinions, or perspectives. Therefore, I cannot keep the personal private or separate with this endeavor. However, my goal with this blog is not to have my inner most thoughts read or air my dirty laundry, but rather offer encouragement and help break down the communication barriers between guest and stylist.

I've often read beauty-advice articles that portray hairstylists as the enemy. The reality is most stylist only have your best interests at heart. They want to see you happy and excited about their work. They've spent thousands of dollars to earn an education in order to get licensed and many continue to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a year after graduating on continuing their education. Keeping up on the latest trends and techniques and attending trade shows or perusing trade magazines to make sure they are providing you, the guest, with the best services possible along with the best products available.

photo found on Pinterest.com

Of course, with any industry, there will always be those that are only in it for the glitz and glamour but ultimately your appearance is a walking billboard for your stylist. So why wouldn't they want you to look and feel your very best?  As stylists, we are not the enemy believe it or not. We are not trying to trick you into paying us all your hard-earned money. We aren't trying to scam you out of being able to provide for your family. We are however running a business by offering a service. Many of us are self-employed and our pricing will reflect as such because we too are trying to provide for our families but we aim to be worth every last penny.

As with any relationship, communication and trust are key. With my writings, I hope to help open the lines of communication between you, the guest, and your stylist which will ensure satisfaction with every service. I also hope to help educate. As a stylist, I do not expect my guests to know the jargon or proper terminology when asking for a particular style. That is why education and communication are so important to help each other convey and understand the desired look and trust that we are on the same page before each service ever begins.

I love my guests! I love this industry! I love my small studio salon! and I love the freedom of creativity I'm allowed and encouraged to share daily. I could geek out all day everyday discussing techniques, chemistry of hair composition, and color theory but I've come to find there's not really a receptive audience for that. Many guests aren't really concerned with how I get from point A to point B, they just want point B to be exactly what they hoped for. I don't expect my guests to know what level their hair color is, or which technique I need to use in order to obtain a specific look. That's why I take classes on my days off, watch professional webinars when my son goes down for his nap, and fall asleep reading trade magazines because it's my chosen field, my passion. 

My ultimate dream, my main ambition, is to help those in need find a style they are comfortable and confident with. As I mentioned in my last post, I firmly believe that when you look good you feel good. I also firmly believe that it's important  to find a stylist that best suits your needs and personality. I know I may not be  that stylist for everyone but that's the great part about being involved in such a diverse and uber-talented industry; there is a stylist out there for everyone.

I've had my fair share of shopping around for a stylist. I know it's not easy. But every experience taught me something new about myself. Take the good with the bad and learn from every experience because once you find that stylist you can truly communicate with, trust, and be comfortable with. your hair (and you) will never be so happy!

So what's to come? You can expect to read about the latest trends, techniques, product reviews, style inspiration, and personal motivation to help you communicate better with your chosen stylist. But most of all, you'll be encouraged to find a style that's truly uniquely you and a stylist that helps you obtain this time and time again!

photo found on Pinterest.com
Have questions? Don't hesitate to ask! Never be afraid to educate yourself. After all, knowledge is (potential) power and that my friends is a beautiful truth.

be.YOU.be.BEAUTIFUL.



No comments:

Post a Comment