Monday, February 17, 2014

A Friendly Rebuttal: Lie #1 explained

Knowledge is power and knowing the facts, regardless of the subject, is essential. I recently came across an article on refinery29.com, titled "10 Lies Your Hairstylist Tells You". I usually find great joy in reading articles from refinery29.com but after reading this particular article, I respectfully disagree with just about everything written. There is a lot of misinformation in this short article that I felt the need to expose and correct. For fear of information-overload I will be writing a series of posts to clear up these misconceptions. Prepare to feel powerful my friends!

Lie #1: Drugstore Products are the Devil
I spoke in great detail about the difference between professional and drugstore products in my last post. Therefore, I will not bore you with the same old information; however, I will reiterate that there truly is a difference. I will also say that from the bottom of my heart and with full confidence I strongly believe the majority of hairstylists are not trying to nickel and dime our beloved guests! Check out "Get the most BANG for your BUCK" for my full opinion on the matter.

I would also like to expand on the following excerpt from the article:
The most important thing, according to NYC hairstylist Nora Croft, is knowing your ingredients, and actually reading the label. "Even more expensive products will list their 'star ingredient' (such as argan oil), as the sixth ingredient, following a bunch of un-pronounceable [ones]." Just because a product is expensive doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work better for your hair.
I FULLY agree with stylist Nora Croft when she says it's important to know the ingredients; however, I believe the most important aspect of any shampoo or conditioner is the pH. Ingredients are important, yes, but if the chemistry is wrong it won't matter how incredible the ingredients are.

Know your hair type and know the ingredients that will work best for you. Ask your stylist for recommendations and never be afraid to ask why they recommend one product over another for your particular hair type.

Most importantly, trust your stylist and believe they have your best interests at heart. If you don't, it may be time to find a new stylist!

Have questions? Don't hesitate to ask! Never be afraid to educate yourself. After all, knowledge is power and that is a beautiful truth.

be YOU. be BEAUTIFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment